Thursday, August 13, 2015

Taking Time Adds Time

Imagine for a moment, what our culture would be like if we all just stopped, and took the time. If we took the time to floss every night, the time to read the books we want to, the time to eat dinner with our family, the time to exercise. We’d probably all be much happier. And, we’d probably live longer. But that’s a tall order of activities, and with the common response of “I’ve been busy” running out the lips of pretty much everyone, well, one has to wonder how do we get it all done?
I’ve tried and failed multiple multitasking moves. Have you ever had it where your mind is running in a million directions, yet your body is paralyzed in catalytic wonder? It’s insane! Ironically, when we multitask and try to get all the items on our lists checked off simultaneously, we’re actually losing more time.  It’s so unfair, yet, it makes sense. So how exactly should we get all our needs done while still fitting in our wants? Tried and true, here are a couple of suggestions I’ve realized actually work.
Floss while watching TV

                I love doing this! I’m also very lucky to have a boyfriend who doesn’t mind my strange yet productive habits. I’ve also noticed a dramatic change within my mouth! I’m now much more confident smiling with my teeth showing, I don’t wake up with morning breath as often, and my gums don’t hurt at all like they used to. Flossing also just feels good, both mentally and physically. Sometimes, you just have to read in between the lines.


Drink water at every stop light
                My car’s air conditioning doesn’t always come on immediately. This means I often sit in a hot car, and get cranky. Lucky for me (and thousands of others), there’s a simple and cheap solution: water bottles! I try to always have one in the car. As for the stop lights, having something to remind me I have water, besides my dehydrated thirst, always feels better in the long run, or in this case, the long drive.
Cook and dance to some groovy tunes
In my opinion, there’s nothing better than dancing to the tune of dinner. Waltzing to and fro from the cupboard to the stove to the fridge, and tossing a hip here and a salad there, can be a really exciting and fun activity. Especially with a partner! Food should be fun, and listening to some great Jazz, or Bosanova music can really spice things up! It’s time to combine forces and dance the salsa while making some.
Meditate while washing your hands
                It’s not hard I promise, and the benefits of some serious calm and quiet breathing can do wonders on your psyche. For real. Do you ever get it where chatter zooms in and out of your ears? Or where it seems like everyone is overly observant on your mishaps?  It’s overwhelming. And it feels like you’re all alone, but stuck in a crowd. Take a minute to go to quiet place. A bathroom is a great cover. The act of washing your hands isn’t a difficult one, so the need to concentrate is minimal. Just breathe and collect yourself. Then, when you’re ready head back out. It’s that simple.  
Stretch while talking on the phone
My mom likes to call on a frequent basis; she likes to make sure I’m being a responsible adult, but still an adolescent daughter who can learn from her advice. It’s interesting at times. It takes about 7 minutes before I get annoyed with her nosy (she says thoughtful) questions. 7 minutes can be a long time; long enough to get in some really great stretches. The best part is all you need is your body and an adequate speaker phone system. And who doesn’t have one of these nowadays?
Watching Netflix while washing the dishes (Paul’s advice)
                My boyfriend and I just moved in together. At first, we were immaculate, running off that new apartment high where everything had to be clean and organized. We’ve since (3 weeks in), settled down. Now it’s a game of who will break first and get annoyed by the accumulating dishes in the sink. The other day I came home and all of them were clean. I thanked Paul to which he said, “Oh yeah, I was watching the X-Files when I did them.” He then proceeded to summarize the episode, which most of it went over my head. But not the fact that he successfully did two activities at once! Now, instead of just waiting for prune fingers, I can watch White Collar and feel productive. Too bad I can’t floss, wash the dishes, and watch TV all at the same time, but, I’m not an octopus.

Fundamentally, it comes down to how much time you invest in your future. Much like a retirement fund, the interest of taking care of yourself increases the more you contribute. It can be fun, and very rewarding. I’ve noticed the smallest of changes have had the biggest impact on my well-being. Do I follow these techniques every day? No. But just being conscious of how you can add a little more healthy variety to your day is a start. Before long, we’ll all be participating in tai chi at the movies. Now there’s an idea…who’s with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment